It is not necessary to be an ECF member to enter any section.
- Entrants to the Open who are neither ECF Gold or
Platinum members, nor FIDE-registered members of another
national body, must pay an additional £10.50
(The ECF will upgrade Silver members to Gold.)
- Entrants to the Open who are neither ECF Gold or Platinum
members, but are FIDE-registered members of another national
body, must pay an additional £1.50
- Entrants to other sections who are not ECF Silver, Gold or
Platinum members must pay an additional £7.50.
(The ECF will upgrade Bronze members to Silver.)
Ungraded players may enter any section, but must provide
indication of playing strength (recent tournament or match results
Entry fees less an administration charge of £2.00 will be refunded
for withdrawal notifications received by 4th
The organizers reserve the right, without giving a reason, to
refuse an entry or to transfer a player to another section.
The January 2018 ECF standardplay grading list will be used at the
It is a condition of entry that all entrants agree that their
results will be forwarded to the ECF for grading.
FIDE Laws of Chess
The current FIDE Laws of Chess
will apply with the
following exceptions and clarifications.
Article 6.7: Default time
Players will be defaulted if not present within 30 minutes of
start of round. A new pairing may be made for any player whose
opponent has not arrived, or for any player who was initially
awarded a bye.
Article 11.2: Playing Venue and
. The Playing Venue is defined to be the
Selwood Academy buildings and excludes the grounds and car park.
(A player may not leave the Playing Venue whilst their game is in
progress.) The Playing Area is defined to be the spaces used for
competition games, including the main hall and any other rooms set
aside for this purpose. (A player having the move may not leave
the Playing Area without an arbiter's permission.)
Article 11.3b: Mobile Phones
Whilst play is in progress, any electronic means of communication
and any device capable of suggesting chess moves
- must be totally switched off and
- may not be carried on the player's person (but may be
stored in a bag).
Failure to comply will result in the loss of the game.
Article 11.3c: Smoking.
Smoking is not allowed anywhere within the Academy building or
- Cash Prizes
- a) All cash prizes are subject to the number of
- b) Except in the Open section, players without a
current published ECF grade will not be eligible for
- c) In the Open section, only players with a current
published ECF grade and/or a published FIDE rating will be
eligible for grading prizes.
- d) Except in the Open Tournament, an ungraded player
may not win more than the value of the 3rd
- e) No player may win more than one prize (the highest
value prize will be paid).
- f) All cash prizes will be forwarded within 14 days of
- Somerset Trophies
- To be eligible for a Somerset trophy a player must satisfy
one of the following criteria:
- a) Birth in the County.
- b) Five years consecutive residence in
the County at any time.
- c) Two years immediately previous and
present membership of a club either in or affiliated to the
- d) One month immediately previous and
present residence in the County.
- e) Present attendance as a teacher or
student at a school, college or university in the County.
- N.B. The County of Somerset is taken to include Somerset
East, Somerset West, North Somerset, Bath and North East
Somerset, and South Bristol.
In all disputes the decision of the Congress Controllers shall be